Our goal is to advance a better understanding of the incidence, risk factors, prevention techniques, and long term health outcomes for sports related injuries sustained by U.S. high school and adolescent athletes.
Dr. McGuine has taken an active role in developing and facilitating novel research methods to allow for effective prospective data collection and analysis in field (sport) settings. At the University of Wisconsin, he established The Wisconsin Sports Injury Research Network, through which a team of licensed ATCs and coaches collect prospective research data in diverse high school and club sport settings. To date, this program has recruited and enrolled over 16,000 adolescent athletes from 112 different high schools and club sport settings to serve as research subjects for numerous cross sectional, cohort, and randomized control trials
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine STOP Sports Injuries Award—Presented at the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine Annual Meeting in Toronto, Canada, July 2017.
- Dr. Oded bar-Or Award for Best Sports Medicine Research—Presented at the American Academy of Pediatrics Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C., October 2015.
- McGuine TA, Post EG, Hetzel, S, Pfallar A, Brooks MA, Bell D. A Prospective Study on the Impact of Sport Specialization on Lower Extremity Injury Rates in High School Athletes. Am J Sports Med. doi.org/10.1177/0363546517710213
- Post EG, Bell DR, Trigsted SM, Brooks AM, & McGuine TA. The Association of Volume, Club Sports, and Specialization with Injury History in Youth Athletes. Sports Health. June. 2017. doi: 10.1177/1941738117714160. PMID: 28628419
- Brooks MA, Snedden TR, Mixis B, Hetzel S & McGuine TA. Establishing Baseline Normative Values for the Child Sport Concussion Assessment Tool. JAMA Pediatr. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.0592
- Snedden TR, Brooks MA, Hetzel S, & McGuine TA. Normative Values of the Sport Concussion Assessment Tool 3 (SCAT3) in High School Athletes. Clin J Sport Med. 2017. DOI: 10.1097/JSM.
- McGuine TA. What Effect Does Prophylactic Bracing and/or Taping Have on Reducing Lateral Ankle Sprain Risk? Athletic Training and Sports Health Care 2016; 8(2) 52-54.
- McGuine TA, Hetzel S, McCrea M, Brooks MA. Protective equipment and player characteristics associated with the incidence of sport related concussion in high school football players: A multi-factorial prospective study. Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42(10):2470-2478
- McGuine TA, Hetzel S, Carr K, Winterstein A. Changes in Health-Related Quality of Life and Knee Function After Knee Injury in Young Female Athletes. Ortho J Sports Med 2.4 2014: DOI: 2325967114530988.
- McGuine TA, Hetzel S, Pennuto T, Brooks MA. Basketball Coaches' Utilization of Ankle Injury Prevention Strategies Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Sports Health. 2013;5(5):410-416.
- McGuine TA, Winterstein A, Carr K, Hetzel S, Scott J. Changes in Self-Reported Knee Function and Health-Related Quality of Life After Knee Injury in Female Athletes. Clin J Sports Med. 2012; 22(4):334-340.
- Thein-Nissenbaum JM, Rauh M, Carr K, Loud K and McGuine TA. Menstrual Irregularity, and Musculoskeletal Injury in Female High School Athletes. J Ath Train. 2012;47(1): 74-82.
- McGuine TA, Hetzel S, Wilson J, Brooks MA. The effect of lace-up ankle braces on injury rates in high school football players. Am J Sports Med. 2012; 40: 49-57.
- Brooks, A, McGuine TA. Translating Cost-effective Injury Prevention Research In to Sustainable Change on the Playing Field: The Youth Injury Epidemic. Archives of pediatrics & adolescent medicine. 2011;165(11):1049-1050.
- McGuine TA, Brooks MA, Hetzel SJ. The effect of lace-up ankle braces on injury rates in high school basketball players. Am J Sports Med. 2011; 39: 1840-1848.
- Thein-Nissenbaum JM, Rauh M, Carr K, Loud K, McGuine TA. Associations Between Disordered Eating, Menstrual Dysfunction, and Musculoskeletal Injury Among High School Athletes. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2011;41(2):60-69.
- McGuine TA. Sports Injuries in High School Athletes: A Review of Injury Risk and Injury Prevention Research. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. 2006; 16: 488-499.
- McGuine TA, Keene, JS. The Effect of a Balance Training Program on Risk of Ankle Injury in High School Athletes. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2006: 34; 1103-1111.
- McGuine TA, Keene JS. Do Proprioceptive Training Programs Reduce the Risk Of Ankle Sprains in Athletes? International Sport Medicine Journal, 2003:4; 311-319.
- McGuine TA, Sullivan JC, Bernhardt DT. The prevalence of creatine supplementation in Wisconsin high school athlete. Wisconsin Medical Journal, 2002:101; 25-31.
- McGuine TA, Sullivan JC, Bernhardt DT. Creatine supplementation in high school football players. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, 2001:11; 247-253.
- McGuine TA, Greene J, Best T, Leverson G. Balance as a predictor of ankle injuries in high school basketball players. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, 2000:10; 239-244.
- McGuine TA, Nass SJ. Football helmet fitting in Wisconsin high schools. American Standards and Testing Materials. Proceedings of the 1994 conference, Safety in American Football. April 1996.
- McGuine TA. The efficacy of ankle taping and bracing to prevent ankle sprain injuries. In Quick Questions regarding Ankle Sprains: Expert Advice in Sports Medicine. Eds: McKeon P & Wikstrom E. Slack Inc. Thoroughfare, NJ.
- McGuine TA. Athletic Training Administration: Issues In The Clinic Setting. In: Administrative Topics in Athletic Training, Concepts to Practice. Slack Inc. Thoroughfare, NJ.
Timothy A. McGuine, PhD, ATC
Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, Sports Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
1685 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53705-2281