Dr. Bryan Heiderscheit is the Frederick Gaenslen Professor in Orthopedics and Vice-Chair for Research for the Department of Orthopedics & Rehabilitation at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He is the Director of Research for UW Badger Athletic Performance, and provides care for athletes of all ages with running-related injuries at UW Health Sports Rehabilitation.
Dr. Heiderscheit's research is aimed at understanding and enhancing the management of orthopedic conditions, with particular focus on running-related injuries.
As the Director of Research for UW Badger Athletic Performance, Dr. Heiderscheit works with a team of clinical-researchers to better understand factors related to sports performance and injury risk/recovery in elite collegiate athletes.
Dr. Heiderscheit is also the co-director of the UW Neuromuscular Biomechanics Laboratory.
- Research Committee Chair, American Academy of Sports Physical Therapy, 2019-present
- Treasurer, American Academy of Sports Physical Therapy, 2013-2019
- Editor, Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 2015-present
- Associate Editor, Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 2008-2014
- Member, American Physical Therapy Association, 1992-present
- Member, American Society of Biomechanics, 2002-present
- Clinical Scholars Program - Clinical Investigation
University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 2009
- Doctor of Philosophy
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, 2000
- Master of Science
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, 1998
- Bachelor of Science
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, La Crosse, WI, 1994
Dr. Heiderscheit is the founding director of the UW Health Runners' Clinic, a clinical service focused on the prevention and management of running-related injuries. He also provides consultation to UW Badger Athletics for running-related injuries and post-operative return to sport assessments.
- 2019 Catherine Worthingham Fellow, American Physical Therapy Association
- 2019 Excellence in Research Award, American Academy of Sports Physical Therapy
- 2018 Sandy Kirkley Lecture, The Forum: Society for Women Orthopedic Sports Medicine Specialists annual meeting
- 2017 Innovation Award, National Association of Rehabilitation Providers and Agencies
- 2016 Keynote, Sportfisio Conference, Bern, Switzerland
- 2016 Editor of the Year, Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy
- 2015 Associate Editor of the Year, Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy
- 2014 Dr. James Naismith lecturer, Dept of Health, Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Kansas
- 2013 Biomechanics Interest Group research award, American College of Sports Medicine
- 2012 Leader in Physical Therapy award, The Ohio State University
- 2009 Distinguished Alumni Award, Division of Physical Therapy, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
- 2008 Mentor Award, Wisconsin Physical Therapy Association
- 2008 NCAA Award for Student-Athlete Wellbeing, North American Congress of Biomechanics
- 2007 Margaret L. Moore Award for Outstanding New Academic Faculty Member, American Physical Therapy Association
- 1996 New Horizon Award, Sports Physical Therapy Section, American Physical Therapy Association