Dr. Shannon started his career at the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics in the Rehabilitation Medicine Department. He then joined UnityPoint Meriter, becoming the Medical Director of the Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) Program. At Meriter, he provided medical oversight of a 23 bed inpatient rehabilitation program and an outpatient PM&R Department. Dr. Shannon also led the development of the first interdisciplinary medical Day Rehabilitation Program in the Madison area. He was the first physician to obtain hospital privileges to provide acupuncture treatment at Meriter Hospital. Dr. Shannon rejoined the University of Wisconsin in 2020 as a Clinical Professor.
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation: University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics, Madison, WI. 1985-1987
Internal Medicine/PM&R: Banner/Good Samaritan Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ. 1984-1985
- Medical Doctorate
University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ. 1984
- Medical Director, Meriter Hospital Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Program: 1989 - 2016.
- Division Chief, Meriter Medical Group Rehabilitation Medicine Division: 2010 - 2015.
- Member of Meriter Medical Group Leadership Council: 2011 - 2015.
- Medical Director, UnityPoint Meriter Rehabilitation Medicine Department: 2016 - 2020.
- Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin Rehabilitation Medicines: 1987 - 1988.
- Co-Chair, UnityPoint Meriter Chronic Pain Committee, 2017 - 2020.
- Co-Chair, Meriter Hospital Interdisciplinary Spine/Pain CME Program, 1997 - 2008.
- Member, Meriter Hospital Executive Committee, 2010 - 2011
- Conservative management of spinal and musculoskeletal conditions.
- Botulinum toxin injections for management of spasticity, chronic migraine and cervical dystonia.
- Management of muscular and myofascial pain.
- Medical acupuncture in pain and headache treatment.
- Rehabilitation of patients with amputations.
- Neurological and general rehabilitation.
American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
When working with patients, I aim to use a holistic and collaborative approach. I endeavor to understand the goals and philosophy of care that the patient is hoping to pursue, and then work with them as partners to achieve the best outcome possible.